At work, there are only two roles: doers and protector of doers.
When a doer works, it impacts the companies output. When a protector of doers works, it allows the doers to do.
- Junior people in a company are 100% doers
- Experts in a field are 90% doers and have 10% of time sharing knowledge
- Team-leads are 70% doers when they act as part of the team, and 30% protectors when focusing on helping the team perform. For example, managing meetings, paperwork and some politic.
- Managers are 75% protectors of doers, dedicating most of their efforts helping teams get what is needed to do and protecting the doers from the never-ending requests of reports, status updates and results from above.
- Executive are 90% protector of doers; their jobs are making sure everything is in place to let the doers do. Including clarity of what matters and whatnot (i.e. providing strategy and guidelines) support & tools and an excellent place to work.
Frank acting as Chief Simplification Officer